Jason S. on Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:10:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] followup.. BIND question...

In standard mode, when you connect to a site via ftp, you connect to
port 21. When you do an "ls" the server you're connected to attempts to
connect back to you on port 20 (a privliged port). If you're behind a
firewall or proxy that doesnt allow this then you'll get the error
you saw. Passive mode is essentially telling the ftp server to keep
all traffic on the same port.

At least I think those are the port numbers. Its been a while, but
anyways the explanation is technicaly correct.

ftp> help
Commands may be abbreviated.  Commands are:

!               debug           mdir            sendport        site
$               dir             mget            put             size
account         disconnect      mkdir           pwd             status
append          exit            mls             quit            struct
ascii           form            mode            quote           system
bell            get             modtime         recv            sunique
binary          glob            mput            reget           tenex
bye             hash            newer           rstatus         tick
case            help            nmap            rhelp           trace
cd              idle            nlist           rename          type
cdup            image           ntrans          reset           user
chmod           lcd             open            restart         umask
close           ls              prompt          rmdir           verbose
cr              macdef          passive         runique         ?
delete          mdelete         proxy           send
ftp>

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.