Martin DiViaio on Wed, 8 Sep 1999 00:10:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] How to load linux on a laptop??

Daniel G Roberts wrote:

> > Hello all
>
> I have never installed Linux on a laptop..and I am seeking some help
> here.
>
> What I have so far is I have made a bootable disk use RAWRITE and then
> I can boot a linux kernel from this floppy.
>
> From here I need to slid out my floppy disk drive and slide in my
> cdrom drive and throw in a RedHat 6.0 installation CD...but my problem
> is that I can't get the cdrom to mount.  How do I go abopt mounting a
> toshiba drive on an AST laptop after I have booted the laptop with a
> floppy drive which I  then have to disconnect from the machine in
> order to slide in the CDROM device.

Try booting from the CDROM. If you have to change your boot order in
your bios settings, do it. You can change it back later.

I don't know how true this is but someone told me that there is a
version of the install program on the RH CD that will run under Windows
or DOS.

Lastly, try this website:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

There is an index of people who have set up webpages describing their
experiences with installing Linux on many types of laptops.