Joel A. Matz on Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:38:48 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] the voicenet/dsl saga

Sorry, I gotta to vent:

I had and ADSL from Bell Atlantic in Collegeville for a few months.
Service was so-so.  Lots o' router problems, but a pretty fat line
none-the-less.  To my great dismay I had to move.  7 miles up the road,
to Pottstown.  I signed up for the BA DSL for a year back in February,
so I kept the service as it was more expensive to break it than to just
use their free dialup that comes along with.  Ever since, I've been
trying to get my/a DSL back.  I spoke with Voicenet in the course of
this.

The gentleman I talked with seemed to have a clue.

He was honest.  They can get service out to anywhere in their area, but
it has to be wired first.  He basically said that Bell was dragging
their feet, although Covad was tryin to do pick up the slack.  In either
case, until the lines went in, the ISP really couldn't do a dang thing.
Even then it's bandwidth is limited by the distance to station/repeater
(duh).  Common repeater installations could be a ways away yet.

I'm not trying to justify the sales department, just the service.  I had
Voicenet for a few years (used to be jmatz@voicenet.com) and, although
we'd bitch about the news server & ocassional email FUs, their
connectivity was always solid.  They gave an honest-to-goodness shell
acount.  When there was a problem they honestly tried to let people know
through their service page (kind of a catch 22 when you can't log on).
When the problems were a little more personal, I had several interesting
dialogs with root@unix01 and they seemed generally motivated & helpful,
especially to the non MS types with a clue.

Relax dude.  Sales people suck, techs rock. Voicenet rocked.  I'd switch
back in a heartbeat.  Ever read User Friendly?  Save the angst for the
halfwits. ;>)

Joel