Jason S. on Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:17:07 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] the voicenet/dsl saga

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Joel A. Matz wrote:
> especially to the non MS types with a clue.
>
> Relax dude.  Sales people suck, techs rock. Voicenet rocked.  I'd switch
> back in a heartbeat.  Ever read User Friendly?  Save the angst for the
> halfwits. ;>)

Thats a bit of an over simplification. Lets put this in perspective.
Someone who lives about a block from me had called concentric to get
DSL at the begining of june. They said, "Sure, we can do it." He
signed his contract and mailed it back. It turns out that the
line installation is behind schedule up my way. The called him
back and said "We cant do it when we said we could, so we're canceling
the contract." No money changed hands. Had he been in a rush for
bandwidth, he could have considered ISDN.

My situation is this. I was told (late june) "Yes, we can do it in
30-40 days." 2 months go by. I call twice. By the second time I
wanted to cancel just because they took my money, gave no service,
then ignored me. I understand dates slip, but.... good god. They've
been holding about $700 of my money for 3 months. Then they tell me,
"Oh, you want to cancel? We'll there's a fee for that..."

This isnt a support issue. I dont care about their shell. They stopped
offering shell access years ago. This isnt about how clueful root@omni1
is or isnt. That doesnt affect me either. This is about some pretty
basic business ethics. Maybe its just me, but the fact that they're
dependant on Covad isnt _my_ problem. Further, after I found this
out, I went to covad's website and checked on availability. This was
about a month ago. The website took like 30 seconds to tell me that
I was going to be waiting until _at least_ sept 9th. Yet their
sales department felt it was acceptable practice to flat out lie?

Anyways, I'm sure everyone's sick to death of hearing this.