Tim Peeler on Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:48:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] the voicenet/dsl saga

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> The voicenet DSL saga continues. I'm sitting here looking at my
> worthless contract, wondering what on earth possessed me to pay
> $700 in advance 3 months ago. The date on the contract is
> 6-24-99.
>
> Covad is running the lines. At the begining of the month, I checked
> their website for availabilty and according to them, it wouldnt be
> until the 9th (at least). Now, why is it that I could find that info
> in 2 minutes, yet voicenet felt the need to lie to me, then trap
> me by claiming "cancelation fee" when I asked for my money back
> earlier in the month? So I sit and wait.
>
> When a friend in my area tried to get DSL from concentric they were
> initially told it was available. Later, they were told it wasnt, the
> contract was canceled, and no money changed hands. They were pretty
> much told "Sorry, we cant do this now, contact us in a couple months"
> This was back in june.
>
> When I called, they said yes, 30-40 day install time "blah blah"....
> its been almost 90. Now I can spend a bunch of $$ on a lawyer to
> get back money I should never have spent in the first place.
>
> I just attempted to call to find out the status of my order around
> 4:30. I doubt I'll hear back. "The Person" I need to talk to was "on the
> phone". Evidently there's one all knowing person that can answer the
> question of "When can I expect service?". I guess monday morning I'll
> try to call one last time. At this point I dont even want the service.
> They've already broken the contract by not installing the service in
> a timely manner.
>
> If you're considering Voicenet, dont bother. This reminds me more of a
> bad racket than a serious business. I've absolutely no desire to support
> a business that flat out lies to its customers. When I called at the
> begining of the month to cancel, I was warned that "if you cancel now,
> there will be a cancelation fee. You're very close to having it
> installed, you should just wait it out". When I aske how much the
> fee was, it was "several hundred dollars". So I guess its a good
> thing I'm patient. Otherwise I'd have to pay a bunch of money for a
> service I never recieved.
>
> Maybe other people have other experiences. But I just felt like sharing
> mine.
>
> J.
>
> When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
> I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
> attitude.

Call the better business buero<sp> and ask for a complaint form.
The complaint form will arrive in about 2-3 days.  Fill it out completely.
Be sure that you give them a copy of your contract and any correspondence
that you've had with voicenet.  Also contact a lawyer, inform him/her of
the ammount that you paid and the expected installation date.  Voicenet
is in breach of contract if they promised 30-60 days for installation and
it's now 90 days.  You can get your $700 back, if you have a good
lawyer you'll also get their fees paid and you won't have to worry about
their cost.  The BBB will arbitrate for you with voicenet to reach a
comprimise.  Be sure that if the BBB decides to arbitrate for you, that
you let them know that you are not willing to accept less than either a
return of the total ammount paid to voicenet or an immediate installation
of the service.  Voicenet will most likely offer a refund of the ammount
you paid since they're contracting the installation out to another company.

Tim

Ps.  You should probably wait until the BBB has had a chance to try resolving
this problem before you retain a lawyer.