Sean R. Cummins on Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:09:09 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] MCP

> As my boss has decided that only people with an MCP (Microssoft Certified
> Professional) may have administrative privledges on our network, I now
> have a desire to obtain one.
> Any suggestions, from Linux people, to a Linux person, on how to go about
> doing this, with a minimum of suffering ?

The Microsoft certifactions are pretty easy if you've worked with NT for
any amount of time.  I was at one point planning on getting my MCSE --
took one test then dropped the idea in favor of Sun Enterprise
Certification (which is very nice to have, btw).

Anyway, some good resources for you might be the Coriolis Exam Cram books
and the Transcender tests.  You can find the Coriolis books pretty much
anywhere.  I think there are some book clubs where you can get a whole set
for like $10, but I don't know where that would be.. I've only heard about
that.  I think someone on this list mentioned www.bookpool.com -- they
sell discounted tech books, including the Coriolis exam crams.

The Transcenders are just simulated exams.  They usually have like 3
different question sets per exam.  They cost about $100 (which is the same
price as taking the actual test), but if you buy a set of them you can
get them for slightly cheaper.  There are also a lot of sites out there
that have "braindumps" -- people take the test, and right after they're
done they type everything out that they can think of that was on the test.
Just run a search for MCSE braindump or something like that.

O'Reilly also puts out MCSE prep books, but I've never used them.  Thats
about all I can think of right now..

--
Sean R. Cummins
Lead Network Engineer