tomj on Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:49:35 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] passwd problem

I tried changing my password by entering
passwd
It says changing password for my username
Then
(current) UNIX password:
I enter the password and it says
passwd: Critical error - immediate abort

I then tried doing this from root and get the same response.
passwd: Critical error - immediate abort

I can log in, FTP and get my mail using my password but I can't
change it. I looked at the file permissions for adduser and they are:
-r-s--x--x   1 root     root        10704 Apr 14  1999 passwd

Anyone have a suggestion andalso What is the s in the
permissions?

If it matters I am using RH6

Tom