Nick R on Sun, 24 Oct 1999 21:46:05 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] magic SysRq key is cool

Well, you convinced me, I'm gonna vote yes on prop 204, er, say "yes" to Kernel hacking/Magic SysRq (CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ) when configuring my kernel.

Just one question. Will these key combinations work while in X when ctrl-mod-bksp won't?

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
28. My pet monster will be kept in a secure cage from which it cannot escape
and into which I could not accidentally stumble.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: Darxus <darxus@op.net>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [Plug] magic SysRq key is cool
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 18:38:03 -0400 (EDT)

Say "yes" to Kernel hacking/Magic SysRq (CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ) when configuring your kernel, then, once you boot off that kernel, you can do neat stuff, like...

(the SysRq key is the same as the Print Screen key)

if X locks -- alt-SysRq-r to regain control of your keyboard by taking it
out of Raw mode (haven't tried this one yet)

alt-SysRq-k to kill everthing on your current virtual terminal

If your whole machine hangs, do

 alt-SysRq-s (sync)
 alt-SysRq-u (unmount)
 alt-SysRq-b (boot)

To reboot, rather than hitting reset/power & possibly causing dataloss --
this should also keep your machine from feeling a need to fsck during
bootup after the crash.

If you're getting crazy amounts of kernel error messages scrolling by so
fast you can't see what you're doing, do ctrl-SysRq-0 (error logging level
0).

These usages are basically from the documentation (in the linux source directory/Documentation/sysrq.txt).

I've been wondering how to use this for a while, and am now irratated that
nobody gave me this quick answer, and instead everything says go read the
documentation.

          Join the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search
                http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm