Darxus on Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:53:37 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] ttysnoop and /dev/vcs#

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 tburba@GLCORPIS01.usvision.com wrote:

> Thanx for the reply. Now for the clincher -- I note that there are at least
> 63 vcs device files and their man page is virtually useless. How do I set
> up a vcs for something like /dev/ttyS1? (T)hanks (I)n (A)dvance.

Well, you don't.

Unless you're using the "screen" program on /dev/ttyS1, disconnect the
screen session, then reconnect it to a /dev/vcs*.

How to explain...

If you hit alt-F1, you will see virtual console #1.
If you hit alt-F2, you will see virtual console #2.

I believe most distros come configured to use up to #6.  My computer at
home is set up to use up to #24.

They're hardware ports... they're kind of virtual.. but you can't attach
them elsewhere.

Like... you can't log into /dev/ttyS1 from the console.  Make any sense ?

Anyway... this /dev/vcs thing won't help you unless the screen you're
trying to look at is logged in directly from the console.

Actually, the "screen" program might help.  But I doubt you could have 2
people attached to it at once.

             Find the next largest prime, be famous:
                http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm