Chris Fearnley on Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:17:03 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] ttysnoop and /dev/vcs#

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 11:53:29AM -0500, Darxus wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 tburba@GLCORPIS01.usvision.com wrote:
>
> > Thanx for the reply. Now for the clincher -- I note that there are at least
> > 63 vcs device files and their man page is virtually useless. How do I set
> > up a vcs for something like /dev/ttyS1? (T)hanks (I)n (A)dvance.
>
> Well, you don't.

Correct, the vcs devices are a function of the Linux kernel console
driver (linux/drivers/char/console.c).  As far as I know they will not
read non-console ttys.  But you can (as root) read the vcs devices from
a tty connection.  Tom's comments suggest that he needs ttysnoop.  I
hoped that his users were using VCs and that the vcs devices would
solve his problem.  But sometimes work is required :)

If Red Hat's ttysnoop doesn't work, grab Debian's.  You should be able
to install it via the ``alian'' package or recompile from the Debian
source.

> If you hit alt-F1, you will see virtual console #1.
> If you hit alt-F2, you will see virtual console #2.
>
> I believe most distros come configured to use up to #6.  My computer at
> home is set up to use up to #24.

The Linux kernel dynamically allocates VCs (Virtual Consoles).  I
believe the standard kernel gives you at least 64 for free.  What you
mean is that most distributions run applications (getty) on only the
first six.  The rest are available, but unallocated.

> Like... you can't log into /dev/ttyS1 from the console.  Make any sense ?

There is serial console support in 2.2.  But I don't think that will
help Tom.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary