Darxus on Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:34:23 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] ttysnoop and /dev/vcs#

from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes :

   As of 2.1.115, support for the deprecated major 4 /dev/ttyp* devices
was removed.  If necessary (eg, you get "out of pty" error messages
when you obviously are not out of pty's), create major 3 /dev/tty* and
major 2 /dev/pty* devices (see Documentation/devices.txt for more
information).  In general, you should make sure that your /dev
directory is up-to-date if you are experiencing any problems.

Isn't this saying you can recreate the /dev/tty's & stuff that ttysnoop
would need ?  Looking in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt, it
looks like you could do it w/ mknod (and I think I now accidentally
understand mknod... traumatic).

It sounds like you need to snoop the 2nd serial port (/dev/ttyS1).  I'd
still like to know why you're using that and not one of the virtual
console ports.

But it looks like /dev/ttyS1 is *not* unix98 style, and therefore should
work w/ ttysnoop.

If you do not have /dev/ttyS1, and you just mentioned that device to
reference what you'd use of you weren't dealilng w/ unix98 PTYs, try
doing:

mknod /dev/ttyS1 char 4 65

To create /dev/ttyS1.  According to
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt, serial port 2 is major number 4,
minor number 65.  And according to the mknod man page... that's how you do
it.

But you'd still have to use ttysnoops instead of a getty variant (mgetty?)

You still gotta tell me why:

1) You need to snoop off the 2nd serial port, instead of the console / a
   virtual terminal.

2) Why you need to use mgetty.

Not having this information makes it more difficult to help.  I totally
cannot comprehend why you'd *need* mgetty, so I can't see how replacing it
w/ ttysnoops would be a problem, so I can't come up w/ a solution.

             Find the next largest prime, be famous:
                http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm