Darxus on Mon, 6 Dec 1999 17:23:05 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] ttysnoop and /dev/vcs#

I've been looking through the source code of ttysnoops at
http://src.openresources.com/debian/src/admin/HTML/S/ttysnoop_0.12c.orig%20ttysnoop-0.12c.orig%20ttysnoops.c.html
I ended up there looking for references to errors I was getting, it's a
really neat full hypertext interface to the source -- every reference to a
function is a link to the definition of that function.

I'm kind of guessing that ttysnoops is trying to use a ttyp# in the same
directory as the tty that you're currently connected to.  Since, w/
Unix98, that's /dev/pts/, and ttyp#'s are actually in /dev/, it's puking.

This is just a guess.  I'm going to try to mangle the code when I get
home, hardcoding the directory to /dev/.  -- This would only work on a
machine that *also* has the old style PTYs (which mine does, and which I
think I know how to re-create).  Making ttysnoop use Unix98 stuff is
probably way out of my league.

I never meant to get this involved, but I've been a little curious about
ttysnoop for like, years :)

Tom: I'd still like you to try it & see what happens on your machines.  I
think there's actually a fair chance that it will work, as is, on  your
serial port connections (since those devices are not in /dev/pts/).  I
don't know, it might even work for your telnet connections.

             Find the next largest prime, be famous:
                http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm