M. Simons on Mon, 6 Dec 1999 20:24:53 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] Motherboard Suggestion Request

Greetings

  I am trying to throw together a box for a webserver and am looking for
suggestions on motherboards.

Here's the basic principles:

I am a little bit frugal when it comes to price... well, let me correct
that... a LOT frugal. ;)

As it is a webserver I do not need:
AGP
On-Board Sound
On-Board Video
Many slots (As far as I can see it, I need a slot for a network card
(PCI) and a slot for a video card (ISA).. of course, I'd accept extra
slots, one never knows what is coming in the future, but I don't need
many.)

What I do need/want:

SCSI (ultra wide 2 or whatever is current enough) [I am not using this
right now, but will in the future, and it seems a lot cheaper to get it
on-board than with an add-on card.]

IDE (of course.)

AT/ATX powersupply connectors [I have been thinking about just starting
with an AT Desktop Case, as I have a few of them, and can cut costs, at
least temporarily here and put it into RAM or CPU.]

Processor Preference:

I would PREFER to go with AMD (Super Socket 7), but I actually think it
might make more sense at this point to go with a Slot 1 Motherboard with
a Socket 370 Adapter for a celeron, and ramp up to a higher speed celeron
or P-II when it becomes neccessary.  But, I am open to all suggestions.

Anyways, I am open to all suggestions, and all suggestions and pointers
are greatfully appreciated, thanks.

msimons@caip.rutgers.edu