Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:47:28 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] [Plug-Announce] Linux User Group meeting 1/5/2000 announcement

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Mental wrote:

> > Installation ?  I think that can be a bit overdone.  Like... "apt-get
> > install apache"... what do I need to know ?  :)
>
> There's 1000 ways to do it. The real question is, how technical do we want to
> get?

I'd suggest covering the major configuration issues you need to
decide/implement after installing your package (although the RH, and
presumably Debian, packages are decent default installs).  Like setting up
personal web directories, what options you should enable on what
directories, etc.

> > How do I make apache use perl to do cgi ?
>
> Mod_perl can get pretty drawn out. But its very cool, and I wouldn't mind
> covering it.

Actually, getting Apache to use Perl for CGI is as simple as including
"#/usr/bin/env perl" in the first line of the script.  Mod_perl only comes
in to integrate the Perl interpreter into the web server more tightly.  I
would request/suggest, as a non-Perl user (who may or may not attend, mind
you), that you not focus too much on it.  I'm really not fond of the
assumption that alot people make that if you use Linux you like to use
Perl.

> Keep in mind. I'm a pinhead. The more detailed the outline, the less time I'll
> spend improvising. I'm no expert with apache. I've done lots of stuff with it,
> but its been a while. Stability is a double edged sword. Once you do something
> it works. YOu don't usually get to repeat it so its easy to forget the details.

Don't worry, as someone who has been in front of a number of different
groups with the purpose of delivering information, let me reassure you
that being in front of a group of people expecting you to explain
something does wonders for the long term recall.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)