Bill Jonas on Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:56:15 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Partitioning advice

> I guess I'm just wired weird. I'd rather have speed than space.

I'm trying to go with a compromise between the two.  I want a large, 7200
rpm, 2 MB cache IDE drive.  :)

> Currently I have a 9.1G 10K rpm seagate cheetah drive. I picked it up

PCWorld had a review called "Big Dog Hard Drives" a couple months back at
http://www.pcworld.com/top400/article/0,1361,12398,00.html.  It was about
IDE drives, but they compared their 5400- and 7200-rpm IDE drive with the
10K-rpm Seagate Cheetah at "Seagate's Cheetah Bursts Ahead",
http://www.pcworld.com/top400/article/0,1361,12398+10+0,00.html.  I quote,
"The Cheetah outpaced the IBM Deskstar 22GXP by more than 30 percent in the
file-search test and by 55 percent in the defragmentation test. However, the
Cheetah tripped in the file-copy test, trailing Maxtor's DiamondMax Plus
5120 by more than 25 percent. What gives?  ...[T]he disparities [are
attributed] to the differences between the UltraDMA and SCSI interfaces.
SCSI ...is best for random-access operations (such as our defrag test),
whereas UltraDMA does a better job at single-stream data transfers."

> I guess what I'm saying is, a while back I was confronted with the
> choice of the larger, cheaper solution or the smaller, faster solution.
> If it was a system I didnt have to use every day I probably would have
> gone IDE. I'm very glad I didnt.
>
> Mental

I respect your opinion.  However, I would personally rather have a larger
drive and just try to get the speediest cheap one I can.  :)

That's the story of business, though, isn't it?  Consumers want the best
items at the same price as the inferior ones.  :)

Bill

OT:  Aren't PCWorld's URLs practically incomprehensible?