Mental on Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:43:03 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] DVD software

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 10:28:55AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:

<snip>

First off, no offense was taken. I may well be wrong in my thinking.
It wouldnt be the first time.

> > is this? Intellectual property? Such a thing does not exist. It's an
> > artificial construction.
>
> So what? So is Eminent Domain, and the identifying of a corporation as a
> legal entity (which is how a corp can be sued). All 3 have a long history of
> being upheld in court. As a matter of legality, there IS such a thing as
> intellectual property.

The interesting bit about the internet is the fact that its
international. In some countrys laws are radicaly different. Companys
are going to be forced to learn this.

My issue isnt about piracy. Its not about moralizing over right and
wrong. My issue is I want DVD working under linux. Since the industry
isnt accomodating I think we're justified in doing it ourselves. I
will continue to support any and all efforts to make it happen. If a
bunch of college kids feel that storing 10-20G of video is neato, well
I could really care less. And if you think that DVD piracy is limited
only to linux users then you're sadly mistaken. I dont really care
about copyright laws. Thats not what I'm talking about. Its totally
separate. As far as I'm concerned, if you purchase a DVD and make a copy
for your own personal use and dont redistribute it, then you may have
broken the letter of the law but you havent broken the spirit. Beyond
that, its a separate issue entirely. Its very simple really. When
quake5 comes out on DVD, I'd like to load it up, fire up E DR.56 and
install/run it.

At any rate, I think I've been very clear on the subject. I think DVD
in linux would be a good thing. The noise the movie industry is making
is very similar to the noise software companys, the recording industry
and other companys have made. Somehow, those other industrys managed to
stay profitable. I have no doubt that somehow hollywood will manage to
survive. I'm sorry. Buyt the thought of George Lucas being unable to
purchase that extra mansion or ferrari just doesnt tug on my
heartstrings. See past the hysteria over this. Why should linux
be marginalized and deprived of an otherwise worthwhile technology?

Mental
--

"you make insanity respectable."
--Helcat on the subject of Mental.