Michael Leone on Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:03:12 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] DVD software

> The interesting bit about the internet is the fact that its
> international. In some countrys laws are radicaly different. Companys
> are going to be forced to learn this.

Depends on both the law - and where you broke it. Here's a bit of a slimy
example - prostitution is legal in nevada. Do it there, and no problems. Do
it back here at home in Philly where you live, problem.

I believe the general rule of thumb is to look at the local laws. Remember
the US kid who got caned in Singapore for defacing property? A misdemonor
and fine here; phsyical punishment there (where the incident took place).

> separate. As far as I'm concerned, if you purchase a DVD and make a copy
> for your own personal use and dont redistribute it, then you may have
> broken the letter of the law but you havent broken the spirit. Beyond

Actually, that's legal, i believe. in the same way that you can legally tape
TV show to watch later at home, but can not sell it.