Darxus on Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:28:56 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] DVD software

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> In a purely objective manner, I will remind everyone that the issue of
> requests of questionable legality on this list has come up before, and I
> do believe the decision was to keep them off.  Please don't pursue this
> request further on-list.

I believe you are referring to a relatively recent discussion of the level
of professionalism this group wished to exist at.  I do not believe there
was actually anything resembling a consensus.  I do not believe many
people even cared about the subject.

I, personally, would side w/ Bill Jonas on this particular issue.  It is a
little offtopic, but I think of at least general interest to many of us,
if only as a news update.

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Bill Jonas wrote:
>
> > <QUOTE>
> > (a) The reverse engineering (correctly referred to as "hacking" in the
> > court papers) occurred in a country in which reverse-engineering is
> > protected,
>
> It doesn't matter if we agree with it.  An injunction is an injunction.

That tastes way to much like "it's law, therefore it's right, and we have
to put up with it."

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, M. Simons wrote:

> Can we cut this off here?  I cannot see anything happening other than just
> having this devolve into an utterly ridiculous philosophical argument.
> And this really doesn't belong here.

Pleasant request for the end of a flame war (which I would not say that
this has actually escalated to) are not often successful.  It's like
you're claiming some kind of authority over the group in telling them that
you don't want to hear it.  So unsubscribe.

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Nicolai Rosen wrote:

> Whoah! What's with the derogatory remarks here? First of all, Mental who
> you're insulting there has a job (you know those guys who provide us w/
> meeting space?). Second, categorically saying all young people are criminals

Where did Mental insult someone ?  And where did the reference to our
meeting place come from ?

                      "There is no spoon."