Mental on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 13:59:03 -0500 (EST)

Re: apt (was: Re: [Plug] redhat 6.1 insllation)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 01:41:19PM -0500, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> And this is the most commonly cited example.  What if you didn't want to
> do a full distribution upgrade.  What if you only wanted to upgrade some?
>
> Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
> mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

Have a peek at the man page. apt-get is very very nice. Altho I have had a
couple minor problems with it, but thats to be expected in the unstable tree.

quick howto. save the attachment, run it thru nroff | less.

Mental
--

"you make insanity respectable."
--Helcat on the subject of Mental.

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

NNAAMMEE
       apt-get  -  APT  package  handling utility -- command-line
       interface

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
       apt-get [options] [command] [package ...]

DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
       apt-get is the command-line tool  for  handling  packages,
       and may be considered the user´s "back-end" to apt(8).

       _c_o_m_m_a_n_d is one of:

       o      update

       o      upgrade

       o      dselect-upgrade

       o      dist-upgrade

       o      install package1 [package2] [...]

       o      remove package1 [package2] [...]

       o      source package1 [package2] [...]

       o      check

       o      clean

       o      autoclean

       Unless  the -h, or --help option is given one of the above
       commands must be present.

       uuppddaattee uuppddaattee  is  used  to  resynchronize   the   package
              overview files from their sources. The overviews of
              available packages are fetched from the location(s)
              specified  in  //eettcc//aapptt//ssoouurrcceess..lliisstt.  For example,
              when using a Debian archive, this command retrieves
              and  scans  the PPaacckkaaggeess..ggzz files, so that informa­
              tion about new and updated packages  is  available.
              An  uuppddaattee  should  always  be  performed before an
              uuppggrraaddee ddiisstt--uuppggrraaddee.  Please  be  aware  that  the
              overall  progress  meter  will  be incorrect as the
              size of  the  package  files  cannot  be  known  in
              advance.

apt                         4 Dec 1998

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

       uuppggrraaddee
              uuppggrraaddee  is  used to install the newest versions of
              all packages currently installed on the system from
              the  sources  enumerated  in //eettcc//aapptt//ssoouurrcceess..lliisstt.
              Packages  currently  installed  with  new  versions
              available are retrieved and upgraded; under no cir­
              cumstances   are   currently   installed   packages
              removed,   or   packages   not   already  installed
              retrieved and installed. New versions of  currently
              installed  packages that cannot be upgraded without
              changing the install status of another package will
              be left at their current version. An uuppddaattee must be
              performed first so that aapptt--ggeett knows that new ver­
              sions of packages are available.

       ddsseelleecctt--uuppggrraaddee
              ddsseelleecctt--uuppggrraaddee  is  used  in  conjunction with the
              traditional Debian GNU/Linux  packaging  front-end,
              ddsseelleecctt  ((88)).  ddsseelleecctt--uuppggrraaddee  follows the changes
              made by ddsseelleecctt to the _S_t_a_t_u_s  field  of  available
              packages,  and  performs  the  actions necessary to
              realize that state (for instance,  the  removal  of
              old and the installation of new packages).

       ddiisstt--uuppggrraaddee
              ddiisstt--uuppggrraaddee,in addition to performing the function
              of uuppggrraaddee,  also  intelligently  handles  changing
              dependencies with new versions of packages; aapptt--ggeett
              has a "smart" conflict resolution  system,  and  it
              will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
              at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
              The  //eettcc//aapptt//ssoouurrcceess..lliisstt  file contains a list of
              locations from which to  retrieve  desired  package
              files.

       iinnssttaallll
              iinnssttaallll is followed by one or more _p_a_c_k_a_g_e_s desired
              for installation.  Each _p_a_c_k_a_g_e is a package  name,
              not  a fully qualified filename (for instance, in a
              Debian GNU/Linux system, _l_d_s_o would be the argument
              provided,   not   _l_d_s_o___1_._9_._6_-_2_._d_e_b).  All  packages
              required by the package(s) specified for  installa­
              tion  will  also  be  retrieved  and installed. The
              //eettcc//aapptt//ssoouurrcceess..lliisstt file is used  to  locate  the
              desired  packages.  If  a hyphen is appended to the
              package name (with no intervening space), the iden­
              tified  package will be removed if it is installed.
              This latter feature may be used to  override  deci­
              sions made by apt-get´s conflict resolution system.

              If no package matches the given expression and  the

apt                         4 Dec 1998

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

              expression  contains one of ´.´, ´?´ or ´*´ then it
              is assumed to be a POSIX regex and it is applied to
              all  package names in the database. Any matches are
              then installed (or removed). Note that matching  is
              done  by  substring  so  ´lo*´ matches ´how-lo´ and
              ´lowest´. If this is undesired prefix  with  a  ´^´
              character.

       rreemmoovvee rreemmoovvee is identical to iinnssttaallll except that packages
              are removed instead of installed. If a plus sign is
              appended  to  the package name (with no intervening
              space), the identified package will be installed.

       ssoouurrccee ssoouurrccee causes apt-get to fetch source packages. APT
              will examine the available packages to decide which
              source package to fetch.  It  will  then  find  and
              download  into  the  current  directory  the newest
              available version of that  source  package.  Source
              packages  are  tracked separately from binary pack­
              ages   via    ddeebb--ssrrcc    type    lines    in    the
              //eettcc//aapptt//ssoouurrcceess..lliisstt  file.   This  probably  will
              mean that you will not get the same source  as  the
              package you have installed or as you could install.
              If the --compile  options  is  specified  then  the
              package  will  be  compiled  to a binary .deb using
              dpkg-buildpackage, if --download-only is  specified
              then the source package will not be unpacked.

              Note  that  source  packages  are  not tracked like
              binary packages, they exist  only  in  the  current
              directory and are similar to downloading source tar
              balls.

       cchheecckk  cchheecckk is a diagnostic tool; it updates the  package
              cache and checks for broken packages.

       cclleeaann  cclleeaann  clears out the local repository of retrieved
              package files. It removes everything but  the  lock
              file      from     //vvaarr//ccaacchhee//aapptt//aarrcchhiivveess//     and
              //vvaarr//ccaacchhee//aapptt//aarrcchhiivveess//ppaarrttiiaall//.  When APT is used
              as a ddsseelleecctt((88)) method, cclleeaann is run automatically.
              Those who do not use dselect will  likely  want  to
              run apt-get clean ffrroomm ttiimmee ttoo ttiimmee ttoo ffrreeee uupp ddiisskk
              ssppaaccee..

       aauuttoocclleeaann
              Like cclleeaann, aauuttoocclleeaann clears out the local  reposi­
              tory  of retrieved package files. The difference is
              that it only removes  package  files  that  can  no

apt                         4 Dec 1998

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

              longer be downloaded, and are largely useless. This
              allows a cache to be maintained over a long  period
              without it growing out of control.

OOPPTTIIOONNSS
       All  command  line options may be set using the configura­
       tion file, the  descriptions  indicate  the  configuration
       option  to  set.  For boolean options you can override the
       config file by using something like --ff--, ----nnoo--ff, --ff==nnoo  or
       several other variations.

       --dd,, ----ddoowwnnllooaadd--oonnllyy
              Download  only;  package  files are only retrieved,
              not unpacked  or  installed.   Configuration  Item:
              AAPPTT::::GGeett::::DDoowwnnllooaadd--OOnnllyy.

       --ff,, ----ffiixx--bbrrookkeenn
              Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken depen­
              dencies in place. This option may be used alone  or
              in conjunction with any of the command actions, and
              is sometimes necessary when  running  APT  for  the
              first  time; APT itself does not allow broken pack­
              age dependencies to exist on a system. It is possi­
              ble  that a system´s dependency structure can be so
              corrupt as to require  manual  intervention  (which
              usually  means  using  dselect  or dpkg --remove to
              eliminate some of the offending packages).  Use  of
              this  option  together with -m may produce an error
              in    some    situations.    Configuration    Item:
              AAPPTT::::GGeett::::FFiixx--BBrrookkeenn.

       --hh,, ----hheellpp
              Help; display a helpful usage message and exits.

       --vv,, ----vveerrssiioonn
              Show the program version.

       --mm,, ----iiggnnoorree--mmiissssiinngg,, ----ffiixx--mmiissssiinngg
              Ignore  missing  packages;  If  packages  cannot be
              retrieved  or  fail  the  integrity   check   after
              retrieval  (corrupted  package  files),  hold  back
              those packages and handle the result. Use  of  this
              option  together  with  -f  may produce an error in
              some situations. Configuration  Item:  iiggnnoorree--mmiissss­­
              iinngg.

apt                         4 Dec 1998

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

       ----nnoo--ddoowwnnllooaadd
              Disables downloading of packages. This is best used
              with --ignore-missing to force APT to use only  the
              .debs it has already downloaded.

       --qq,, ----qquuiieett
              Quiet;  produces output suitable for logging, omit­
              ting progress indicators.  More  q´s  will  produce
              more  quiet  up to a maximum of 2. You can also use
              --qq==## to set the quiet level, overriding the config­
              uration  file.  Note that quiet level 2 implies -y,
              you should never use -qq without a no-action  modi­
              fier  such  as  -d,  --print-uris  or -s as APT may
              decided to do something you did not  expect.   Con­
              figuration Item: qquuiieett

       --ss,, ----ssiimmuullaattee,, ----jjuusstt--pprriinntt,, ----ddrryy--rruunn,, ----rreeccoonn,, ----nnoo--aacctt
              No action; perform  a  simulation  of  events  that
              would  occur but do not actually change the system.
              Configuration Item: AAPPTT::::GGeett::::SSiimmuullaattee.

              Simulate prints out a series of lines each one rep­
              resenting   a  dpkg  operation,  Configure  (Conf),
              Remove (Remv), Unpack (Inst). Square brackets indi­
              cate  broken  packages with and empty set of square
              brackets meaning breaks that are of no  consequence
              (rare).

       --yy,, ----yyeess,, ----aassssuummee--yyeess
              Automatic yes to prompts; assume "yes" as answer to
              all prompts and run non-interactively. If an  unde­
              sirable  situation, such as changing a held package
              or removing an essential package occurs  then  aapptt--
              ggeett     will     abort.     Configuration     Item:
              AAPPTT::::GGeett::::AAssssuummee--YYeess.

       --uu,, ----sshhooww--uuppggrraaddeedd
              Show upgraded packages; Print out  a  list  of  all
              packages  that  are  to  be upgraded. Configuration
              Item: AAPPTT::::GGeett::::SShhooww--UUppggrraaddeedd.

       --bb,, ----ccoommppiillee,, ----bbuuiilldd
              Compile source packages after downloading them.

       ----iiggnnoorree--hhoolldd
              Ignore package Holds; This causes aapptt--ggeett to ignore
              a  hold  placed on a package. This may be useful in
              conjunction with ddiisstt--uuppggrraaddee to override  a  large

apt                         4 Dec 1998

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

              number  of  undesired  holds.  Configuration  Item:
              AAPPTT::::IIggnnoorree--HHoolldd.

       ----nnoo--uuppggrraaddee
              Do not upgrade packages; When used  in  conjunction
              with   iinnssttaallll  nnoo--uuppggrraaddee  will  prevent  packages
              listed from being  upgraded  if  they  are  already
              installed.    Configuration   Item:   AAPPTT::::GGeett::::nnoo--
              uuppggrraaddee.

       ----ffoorrccee--yyeess
              Force yes; This is a  dangerous  option  that  will
              cause  apt  to  continue without prompting if it is
              doing something potentially harmful. It should  not
              be  used  except  in very special situations. Using
              ffoorrccee--yyeess can potentially destroy your system! Con­
              figuration Item: AAPPTT::::GGeett::::ffoorrccee--yyeess.

       ----pprriinntt--uurriiss
              Instead of fetching the files to install their URIs
              are printed. Each URI will have the path, the  des­
              tination  file  name, the size and the expected md5
              hash. Note that the file name to write to will  not
              always match the file name on the remote site! This
              also works with the ssoouurrccee  command.  Configuration
              Item: AAPPTT::::GGeett::::PPrriinntt--UURRIIss.

       ----ppuurrggee
              Use purge instead of remove for anything that would
              be removed.

       ----rreeiinnssttaallll
              Re-Install packages that are already installed  and
              at the newest version.

       ----lliisstt--cclleeaannuupp
              This  option  defaults to on, use ----nnoo--lliisstt--cclleeaannuupp
              to turn it off.  When on apt-get will automatically
              manage  the  contents  of  /var/state/apt/lists  to
              ensure that obsolete files  are  erased.  The  only
              reason  to  turn it off is if you frequently change
              your    source    list.     Configuration     Item:
              AAPPTT::::GGeett::::LLiisstt--CClleeaannuupp

       ----ttrriivviiaall--oonnllyy
              Only  perform  operations  are ´trivial´. Logically
              this can be  considered  related  to  --assume-yes,

apt                         4 Dec 1998

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

              where  --assume-yes  will answer yes to any prompt,
              --trivial-only will answer no. Configuration  Item:
              AAPPTT::::GGeett::::TTrriivviiaall--OOnnllyy

       ----nnoo--rreemmoovvee
              If  any  packages are to be removed apt-get immedi­
              ately aborts without prompting. Configuration Item:
              AAPPTT::::GGeett::::NNoo--RReemmoovvee

       ----ddiiffff--oonnllyy, bd(--tar-only)
              Download  only  the  diff  or  tar file of a source
              archive.  Configuration Item: AAPPTT::::GGeett::::DDiiffff--OOnnllyy

       --cc,, ----ccoonnffiigg--ffiillee
              Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to
              use.  aapptt--ggeett  will  read the default configuration
              file  and  then  this   configuration   file.   See
              aapptt..ccoonnff((55)) for syntax information.

       --oo,, ----ooppttiioonn
              Set  a Configuration Option; This will set an arbi­
              trary configuration option.  The syntax is

              -o Foo::Bar=bar

FFIILLEESS
       o      /etc/apt/sources.list locations to  fetch  packages
              from

       o      /var/cache/apt/archives/ storage area for retrieved
              package files

       o      /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/ storage  area  for
              package files in transit

       o      /var/state/apt/lists/ storage area for state infor­
              mation for each package resource specified  in  the
              source list

       o      /var/state/apt/lists/partial/   storage   area  for
              state information in transit

apt                         4 Dec 1998

apt-get(8)                                             apt-get(8)

SSEEEE AALLSSOO
       apt-cache(8),   dpkg(8),   dselect(8),    sources.list(5),
       apt.conf(5), The APT Users Guide in /usr/doc/apt/

DDIIAAGGNNOOSSTTIICCSS
       apt-get  returns  zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on
       error.

BBUUGGSS
       See http://bugs.debian.org/apt.  If you wish to  report  a
       bug  in  aapptt--ggeett,  please  see //uussrr//ddoocc//ddeebbiiaann//bbuugg--rreeppoorrtt­­
       iinngg..ttxxtt or the bbuugg((11)) command.

AAUUTTHHOORR
       apt-get  was  written   by   the   APT   team   <apt@pack­
       ages.debian.org>.

apt                         4 Dec 1998