Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:04:46 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Which scripting language?

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Mental wrote:

> Hm. When you're talking about readability.... its more a matter of style.

Not completely.  Someone (I don't remember who) put it very well.  When
writing code, you only need to know one way to do things.  When reading
code, you need to know multiple ways of doing things.  The number of
ways depends on the language.  With Perl, you need to know more; with
Python, less.

> I maintain perl code on a daily basis. A badly written program is badly
> written in any language. Python isnt a silver bullet for writing decent
> code. It seems like it makes it easier, but bad habits are bad habits.
> I'm not really contradicting you, I'm just saying that you can write
> impossible to understand code no matter what.

I never claimed Python was a silver bullet.  Nor did I claim Python
prevented you from writing bad code.  What I am saying is that Python code
is more easily read.  This is due to:

  1) fewer ways of doing any one things.
  2) reading more like English than symbols.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)