Bill Jonas on Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:33:47 -0500 (EST)

Security (was Re: [PLUG] Does anyone have a Pentium Pro 200 Mhtz processor...)

> At this point, just getting it up and running with INN would be what I
> want.  How is RedHat 6.1 for handling dual processors or should I look
> at Free BSD?  I've going to have some rowdy users on board and need to
> have something fairly tamper resistant.

Back in September, we had that talk on Linux system security.  There's a
link to the presentation handout from the Plug web page (Talks & Papers).
The basic idea is as follows:  Disable all services you don't need and/or
use.  Port-scan your machine from both inside and outside your network.  Run
SATAN against your machine.  Run Crack against your passwd file.  (Even
better, use shadow passwords.)  Use nmap, netstat, nessus, tripwire, ssh,
etc.

Have fun.  :)

Bill

--
"Because they know that all they sold you was a guaranteed POS!  Look, if
you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I will.  I got