Tracy Nelson on Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:34:47 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Does anyone have a Pentium Pro 200 Mhtz processor...

Actually, the place to go for hardware shopping is Price Watch
(www.pricewatch.com).  They keep an up-to-date list of all hardware
prices on the web.  Then you just tell them what you want, and they'll
tell you who has the best price.

Fortunately, since Intel has started shipping the Xeon, prices on the
PPro have dropped (the Xeon finally included the multiprocessor logic
they dropped from the PPro when they made the PII), but they're still
pricey.  A regular 200MHz PPro is $68, if you want one of the "enhanced"
ones (with 512K or 1M of cache), expect to pay around $125 (512K) to
$200 (1M).  If I didn't have so many machines already, I'd definitely
pick up a dual-processor MB and a couple of PPros.

The PPro and PII both use the same core, the difference being that the
PII clocks its cache at half the processor core speed, while the PPro
clocks the cache at core speed (can you say "overclocker friendly"?).
In my testing, I found that my 200MHz PPro could keep up with a 266MHz
PII if the code was cache-resident.  The PPro also included
multiprocessor logic (cache snooping & lock support) which made it the
processor of choice for people building MP systems until the Xeon came
along (and down in price).

Oh, and if you want something speedier, Intel made a Socket-8 PII just
for the purpose of replacing the PPro.  The part number is SL2KE, it's
an overdrive processor and runs at 333MHz with a 512K cache (no idea
what speed the cache runs at).  I imagine you'll have to dig to find
one, though.

--
Just junk food for thought...