Rebecca Ore on Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:39:06 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Does anyone have a Pentium Pro 200 Mhtz processor...

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 09:34:21AM -0500, Tracy Nelson wrote:
> Actually, the place to go for hardware shopping is Price Watch
> (www.pricewatch.com).  They keep an up-to-date list of all hardware
> prices on the web.  Then you just tell them what you want, and they'll
> tell you who has the best price.

Oooo, thank you.  This is now bookmarked.  I'm putting together a news
server and someone is shipping me a Micron Pentium Pro machine with
one processor but a motherboard for two.  I need to pick up scsi
drives, more memory (it's coming with 192 MG).  Another person is
sending me a Tier 2 scsi card.

> Fortunately, since Intel has started shipping the Xeon, prices on the
> PPro have dropped (the Xeon finally included the multiprocessor logic
> they dropped from the PPro when they made the PII), but they're still
> pricey.  A regular 200MHz PPro is $68, if you want one of the "enhanced"
> ones (with 512K or 1M of cache), expect to pay around $125 (512K) to
> $200 (1M).  If I didn't have so many machines already, I'd definitely
> pick up a dual-processor MB and a couple of PPros.

Is there any problem if the processors don't have the same cache?

> The PPro and PII both use the same core, the difference being that the
> PII clocks its cache at half the processor core speed, while the PPro
> clocks the cache at core speed (can you say "overclocker friendly"?).
> In my testing, I found that my 200MHz PPro could keep up with a 266MHz
> PII if the code was cache-resident.  The PPro also included
> multiprocessor logic (cache snooping & lock support) which made it the
> processor of choice for people building MP systems until the Xeon came
> along (and down in price).
>
> Oh, and if you want something speedier, Intel made a Socket-8 PII just
> for the purpose of replacing the PPro.  The part number is SL2KE, it's
> an overdrive processor and runs at 333MHz with a 512K cache (no idea
> what speed the cache runs at).  I imagine you'll have to dig to find
> one, though.

At this point, just getting it up and running with INN would be what I
want.  How is RedHat 6.1 for handling dual processors or should I look
at Free BSD?  I've going to have some rowdy users on board and need to
have something fairly tamper resistant.

Can anyone tell me what my contact meant by "it's going to need a
voltage regulator, too?"

> > :Subject: [PLUG] Does anyone have a Pentium Pro 200 Mhtz processor...
> > :...with voltage regulator?  I'm getting a free machine to use as a
>
> --
> Just junk food for thought...

Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net