Tracy Nelson on Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:37:49 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Does anyone have a Pentium Pro 200 Mhtz processor...

Rebecca Ore wrote:
> Is there any problem if the processors don't have the same cache?

Intel recommends that all processors in a MP system be the same speed
and stepping.  I would guess there wouldn't be a problem, but I really
don't know.

> want.  How is RedHat 6.1 for handling dual processors or should I look
> at Free BSD?  I've going to have some rowdy users on board and need to
> have something fairly tamper resistant.

If security's an issue, I'd recommend one of the BSDs.

> Can anyone tell me what my contact meant by "it's going to need a
> voltage regulator, too?"

ISTR that the PPros are picky about their power and require pretty
strict (+/- 2%) power regulation.  My Intel VS440FX MB uses a VCCP (you
got me) power regulator module.  Don't know what the Microns use(d).  If
you find out, drop me a note.  I've got an old Micron MB that might have
one on it that I would sacrifice "for the cause".

--
Just junk food for thought...