mattybeast on Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:36:50 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Quake

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

> Okay, I tried it (the SVGALib binary; I've d/l'd the other two but haven't
> tried yet), but Quake segfaulted and left my console in an unusable state.
> (Couldn't even CTRL-ALT-DEL.)  Looking at the Quake-HOWTO, I tried
> "./squake -noudp", but that didn't help.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bill

Yikes.........
Well I'd not run the SVGALib in quite some time  so I decided
to fire it up, lo and behold I got a seg fault also. (although my box didn't quite have
the fits yours apparently did) I began to wonder what could be wrong and then it hit me
I haven't played anything but the X version since the 2.2.3 Kernel was shiny and new.
So I went about trying it on my 486/133 with an old kernel (2.0.3)
With a little coaxing  It worked (-noudp), but not well and my mouse was almost
unusable..  I've made the obvious conclusion that the bin is broken under more
recent SVGALibs or perhaps even the newer Kernels?
I've D/L'd the Q1 source in an effort to perhaps compile a client, but I figure
I can find somebody out there who's been down this road already....
Feel free to e-mail me. oh yea and thanks for getting me to do something about
my old 486
 				Matt

To burn always with a hard gem-like flame, to maintain this ecstasy,
is success in life.                                -Walter Pater  (1873)