Charles Stack on Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:05:27 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] Finding Linux Help

We're running SDSL with a Flowpoint router here in the office.  Depending
upon what your purchase, you can configure (or your ISP can) the FlowPoint
to provide NAT or straighthrough routing.  We elected to have NAT turned off
at the router (giving us our 5 IP's), and instead use a Linux box to perform
IP Masquarade.

Then, I went to town configuring what services were available and to whom
(/etc/init.conf and /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny).

I'd also suggest limiting the visibility of your files.  If you are running
RedHat, it sets the access rights on directories as 755.  Go back and set
them to 751 unless you really need to read files in /etc, /bin, etc.

Oh, yeah...don't leave your password file unencrypted.  Use shadowing if
possible.

Finally, install something like LIDS, COPS or TripWire to assist in catching
a bad guy and to help accertain what they they did.

Then, I ran Saint against it looking for weaknessess.  When running, you
can't see the Windows machines from the internet.  For, that you either need
to run VPN software or SSH.  SecureCRT, from VanDyke, allows you to tunnel
into your private network using SSH and their software (Windows only).  I've
also played with VPND.

BTW, we were scanned by a would-be hacker right after our Linux box went
live (confirmed by the system operator of the systems the attack WAS
launched from).  They did not get in (this time, at least).

If you are dreadfully concerned about someone hacking into your system, you
may want to go the route of having a dedicated firewall.  But, I think with
a few precautions, you'll be probably be alright.

As for setting up a dial-in server....Get the rest of your network working
first.  Then, add that capability.

Charles