John Lavin on Mon, 14 Feb 2000 22:33:03 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] News - Sorta

Hey, Just wanted to let ya'll know what I found out reading wednesday's
Inquirer (Yup, I do still read print, occasionally).  I read about Gov.
Ridge's State of the State address.  Any one else read about it?

In it, he announced some kind of partnership with Microsoft.  Oh boy.  I
can't wait.  This is all that the Inquirer said about it:

"A partnership with Microsoft Corp. called PA PowerPort to create the
nation's first statewide Internet portal to help businesses that want to
go online, potentially allowing residents to register cars, buy hunting
licenses and transact other business with the state.  Part of a $20
million enhancement of the state's 'e-government' program."

Also, in true Big Brother fashion, he apparently took time out from his
speech to be praised by Steve Balmer live via a tele-conference and big
screen projection.  Now they don't say how large the screen was or if it
was above and behind Gov. Ridge...

Anyone have anymore information on this?  I'm quite concerned....

Anyway, I'm going to post an editorial to the Inquirer and see if I get
a response.

On a related note, after I read that article in Thursday's or Friday's
paper, Microsoft had big insert titled "Are you Ready Philadelphia?"
which, I'm sure is for their windoze 2k (65k reasons to switch!) release
this week.  One of the highlighted companies is the IQ group.  I thought
that was quite interesting that the IQ group is a poster-boy for
Microshaft. ;-)

--
John Lavin
jlavin1@voicenet.com