fourje on Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:40:43 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Usability Issues.

Hmm. I've been lurking in the Hotmail Thread and came across a comment
where they said :

"*NIX has always focused on the engineer, while Win* has always focused
on end-user usability.  Calling *NIX worse on a scale of usability is a
fair cop.  Figuring out how to make Linux more usable to the average man
on the street is a useful discussion"

Now, it seems to me that one of the problems with NT is it's attempt at
brain-dead configuration (GUI's etc).  I've only loaded NT Workstation
on my desktop once (486 SX2 with 20meg) and it was reasonably stable -
but a pig to configure anything - point-and-click - Phapt!!
I've watched Competent, trained Network Engineers look blankly at a
screen full of drop-downs and buttons, trying to figure why some piece
of software or server wasn't working right - especially as they had
stepped religiously through the 50 page configuration manual.

It also seems to me - after listening to many competent Unix sys. admins
that one of the joys of Unix is the ability to configure Unix via plain
ol' text files.

So, what is the purpose of trying to build brain dead system
configuration tools for Linux.  What's this "how to make it more usable
to the average man on the street"
The average man on the street is interested in switching on his machine,
clicking a couple of buttons, reading and replying to his email, playing
games and not much more.
The only purpose of building a WinSlop style of configuration interface
for Linux is to force it onto the Desktop.  But most everyone I've met
who uses Linux on the desktop can - and prefers to - configure his
desktop manually.  I don't think Linux is an "everyman" OS and trying to
make Linux a fit all OS will inveriably bring it in line with the
Winslop model.  and I for one do not think that is such a good idea.
You want a desktop *nix type OS - Look at BEOS - fantastic installation
if you have the right hardware mix.  what about QNX - that sucker loads
from a floppy - no problem.
I personally believe that if you create an Win/NT style interface for
Linux, then you'll end up with win/NT style problems.

My tuppence worth
Let the flames come - and careful folks - I'm no troll.

Dave E. <Very Big Grin>