Bill Jonas on Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:01:17 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft Harangue

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, fourje wrote:

>interested in.  Hoever, for procmail to be effective, the mail first has
>to be retrieved from  the server - which, over a dialup line (not all of

Not really -- you can set up procmail on your shell account (if you have
one), park it in /dev/null on your (smtp||imap) server, never download
it, never spend the money on the telephone costs of transmitting it
from your ISPs server to you, and never let it see the light of day on
your system.   But I guess there's precious little need to mention that.

>spam.  So what we have here is a recommendation that we should treat a
>significant portion of the recent postings as spam.
>Hmmm.

All I'm saying is that (some value of n) of us found it interesting.  I
for one certainly did.  And I felt it relates to Linux (strengths and
weaknesses vs other OSs).  Now I'm not suggesting a vote every time
somebody thinks a thread is off-topic, but I am opposed to the idea that
one or two people can kill a thread by accusing it of being not
appropriate.

(No offense intended to you, V -- usually, I think you're right on.)

Bill
--
"Notice how altering $one in fact altered each element of @a.
This is a feature, not a bug."  -Schwartz & Christiansen,