fourje on Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:43:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft Harangue

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, fourje wrote:
>
> >interested in.  Hoever, for procmail to be effective, the mail first has
> >to be retrieved from  the server - which, over a dialup line (not all of
>
> Not really -- you can set up procmail on your shell account (if you have
> one),
<SNIP>

Aaah! - no shell account! - I consider myself lucky that my free ISP
will act as a smart relay host for my outgoing mail (even from
WinBlows).

> >spam.  So what we have here is a recommendation that we should treat a
> >significant portion of the recent postings as spam.
> >Hmmm.
>
> All I'm saying is that (some value of n) of us found it interesting.  I for one >certainly did.  And I felt it relates to Linux (strengths and
> weaknesses vs other OSs).  Now I'm not suggesting a vote every time
> somebody thinks a thread is off-topic, but I am opposed to the idea that
> one or two people can kill a thread by accusing it of being not
> appropriate.

I guess I was in a bit of a "rant" mode at this time - Apologies - not
my intention to suggest that the thread be killed - my response was more
to the statement of using procmail for controlling unwanted message
threads - which of course IS the way to do it.

> (No offense intended to you, V -- usually, I think you're right on.)

No offence taken - late nights and little sleep tends to amplify the
frustration level<sheepish grin>.

Dave E.