Greg Lopp on Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:45:13 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Monitor Viewing Size

"Steven M. Castellotti" wrote:

> > I have a 17" monitor.  Normally I use the controls on the front to
> > adjust the Vert and Horiz size in order to maximize the viewing area.
> > However, I have the H. size adjusted to 100% according to the monitor,
> > but still have room left.  Is there a way to adjust this independent of
> > the monitor controls?  Vert is fine.
>
>         There should be two ways, AFAIK.
>
>         First of all, I know that my MAG Innovision monitor - about 4
> years old now - has problems with certain refresh rates, in which I can
> get the correct resolution, but just like you, I can't expand the image to
> meet the edge of the plastic case around the CRT. Usually changing the
> refresh rate fixes the problem.
>
>         Secondly, I'm not certain how to go about doing it, but there
> should be a setting in X to stretch the video wider on the CRT. SuSE's
> YaST (Yet another Setup Tool) will let you do this during the last step of
> X-Windows configuration. I've never bothered to check the X documentation
> to see if there's a way to simply edit the file to do this,

A lengthy description of how to do this is in the XFree86-video-timings HOWTO
(available at linuxdoc.org, if it isn't already in /usr/doc/HOWTO).  If you
read this document and still find the prospect of editing modelines in the
XF86Config file intimidating (and you probably should), take the easier route
and fire up a copy of xvidtune.  Click on the button labeled wider a few
times, click test.  Easy as can be, but read the howto anyway so that you
understand the internals of what you are doing and to prevent possible
serious damage to your monitor.