Greg Lopp on Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:58:55 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] GeForce DDR & Xfree

CoYoTe wrote:

> Well, i have a litle probleme with my configuration of Xserver
> and may be is there someone there which will be able to provide
> a solution for.
>
> ( please excuse me for my english :) )
>
> My Xserver ( 3.3.5 or 4.0 ) is very instable, when i lauch it , that work
> and when i lauch a X11amp,Xmms,Xawtv or mpeg_play, the screen become black
> and i have to check the mouse to view my desktop.The probleme is that ,
> since this moment screen become black every 2s of inactivity of mouse and
> i have to maintain the mouse in a perpetual mouvement :(
>
> It's not a joke ....
>
> I notice this probleme with wmaker, afterstep, enlightenment, gnome ...
> except for KDE !! With KDE nothing work properly ( it don't refresh the
> x11amp for example ) but no bug ...
>
> this is some unsuccefull method i try:
>
> * Restart the Xserver -> the pb is still there and i have to restart my
> computer ( like if i use windows )
>
> * Check every ligne of XF86Config -> still there
>
> * Reinstall Xserver -> still there
>
> * switch off the frame buffer -> still there
>
> * Remove all overclocking set -> still there
>
> So If someone has got an idea .....

I remember having this problem, but I cannot say that I remember exactly what
I did to fix it.  It happened to me for a few days on a new system, I still
needed to upgrade a number of RPMs and it fixed itself as part of that - I
think.

It sounds like xscreensaver has some sort of timing problem.  i.e. the timer
that xscreensaver is using to know when to engage isn't getting cleared/reset
when you move the mouse, it immediatly re-engages.  Try killing the
xscreensaver process after this problem presents it self.

If that isn't it, maybe its power management.....but that might only explain
the problem in GNOME, not the others.

>    _ __/|    |  Email: coepel@wotan.iie.cnam.fr
>    '0.o'     |  Eleve Ingenieur a l'I.I.E ( 2A )
>   =(_X_)=    |  IP: 192.168.3.11 UIN: 39747465
>      U       |  Residences Elsa Triolet, Chambre C105

Bill the Cat for Prez - Desperate times call for a desperate choice.