Kevin Brosius on Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:03:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Monitor Viewing Size

>         Secondly, I'm not certain how to go about doing it, but there
> should be a setting in X to stretch the video wider on the CRT. SuSE's
> YaST (Yet another Setup Tool) will let you do this during the last step of
> X-Windows configuration. I've never bothered to check the X documentation
> to see if there's a way to simply edit the file to do this, or whether is
> was something specific to YaST (which is not Open Source, btw). I ended up
> moving back to Debian after a few months of using SuSE, so I can't check
> right now to see if an XF86Config file generated by YaST has a few
> different lines in it.

Sounds kind of like xvidtune, it allows you to adjust the modeline
on-the-fly in 3.3.6 (and 4.0?  I haven't tried it.)  Check out
http://www.xfree86.org/4.0/xvidtune.1.html, or do 'man xvidtune'.  I'm
unclear on what happens when you save the changes.  You might need to
edit the XF86Config file after finding settings you like.  Either way,
there are two things to keep in mind.  It's possible to change the video
timing enough to make your screen unviewable, be careful.  If you don't
save the settings before closing xvidtune you will lose any changes you
make, either immediately or at the next server restart.

--
Kevin Brosius