Trevor J Martin on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:40:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Inexpensive PCI OpenGL video adapter?

      Being a fanatic gamer myself, I did alot of research before I upgraded my voodoo 2 card.
I was still using my windows partition to play games and Q3A hadn't made the "linux" announcement yet.
I still wanted a card that would be compatible in linux and after asking people on irc (#linux on efnet),
came to the conclusion that the Nvidia tnt2 card would be my best investment. There were all sorts of promises
made by Nvidia about OpenGL drivers etc.. . I waited and waited for those drivers. I kept hearing about how great voodoo3 cards
were in linux and finally, when opportunity knocked, traded my $250.00 Nvidia card to a friend for his $90.00 voodoo3 2000 card
(temporarily) to test it out in linux. Now I have one thing to say about voodoo3 cards... they rock! Linux support is amazing. Not only
can I play Q3A, I can play Unreal Tournament (which IMHO is alot better than Q3A). The performance of a voodoo3 in linux is about the
same as it is in Windows 9x and there are tons and tons of FAQ's on setting up the card and tweaking games for performance. If you have any
doubts at all , check out this link: http://www.linuxgames.com/articles/linux3dcards/ which is a comparison of 3d cards in linux. If you don't have
time to read the whole article, skip right down to page 8 http://www.linuxgames.com/articles/linux3dcards/page8.shtml , which is a side by side
comparison chart of the cards. BTW : the card you should look at is the Voodoo3 1000 PCI, However the Voodoo3 2000 also comes in PCI ,
and the performance is just as good as the AGP version (I've compared the 2 myself) , so you can check that one out as well.

PS.    If you have the money , and want to wait , the Voodoo 4  and 5 are coming out and they  3dfx has announced that they will be shipping a PCI
          version of the 2 cards as well as the AGP version. http://www.3dfx.com/prod/sup/faq-v45.html#q5 . I may pre-order one of those puppy's !
          they are going to fully support linux on the cards http://www.3dfx.com/prod/sup/faq-v45.html#q17 . So you won't have to worry about drivers.

  I hope this has helped you,

  Trevor Martin

grep..grep..grep... (Frog with UNIX stuck in its' throat)