Michael Leone on Sat, 6 May 2000 21:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] Re: Java book

It's nice that the entire book is available electronically.  Personally,
tho, I want a BOOK - you know, paper, ink, etc, when I'm learning a new
skill. :-)
Something I can prop open on my lap and refer to. I find it easier that way.

After I'm a bit familar with the subject, then perhaps an electronic version
would be useful as a reference.

I know - I could print it. But then, it wouldn't be free (I's still be
paying for the paper and ink), and it would be nowhere near as useful as a
professionally bound book.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their recommendations of this book. I think
I'll check it out.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of John Fiore
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000 6:54 PM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [PLUG] Re: Java book

I'd also like to recommend the Bruce Eckel book "Thinking in Java".  Using
the information found in this book and Sun's online API docs, I was able
to pass Sun's certification exam a couple of summers ago.  I believe that
he's also posted updates on Swing on his website since then.

It's a great book for beginning programmers, and of course being able to
download the entire book for free is a big plus.  If you really like it,
you could always go to the bookstore and shell out the $35 another time.