Bill Jonas on Mon, 15 May 2000 09:44:11 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] meeting place for next month (6/7/00 / computer crime)

On Mon, 15 May 2000 darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

>On Mon, 15 May 2000, Andy Smith wrote:
>
>> please, plaese do not have this meeting out in the Suburbs.  This is
>> the _Philadelphia_ Linux Users Group, not the Conshohocken Linux Users
>> Group.

"Philadelphia", technically, refers to the city proper, but in practice,
doesn't it refer to the entire area?

Not all of us live in the City of Philadelphia, anyway.  Perhaps we
should call ourselves the Philadelphia _Area_ Linux User's group (a la
PADS).  Or are suburb-dwellers unwelcome?  :)

>So.. 1 vote for holding the next meeting at IQ, and nobody else cares?
>That's fine with me.  Anybody else care to express an opinion ?

>From an earlier email by me, "Personally, I'd love to have it there..."

But as long as the meeting isn't held in some distantly remote location,
such as Reading or Harrisburg, we need, IMO, to take into account all
factors, *including* the size of the meeting space.  Especially if we're
expecting a big turnout.  If we have loads of people at the meeting, but
a not-insignificant number have to stand, how will that reflect on the
group, and how many would be likely to come to the next meeting?  The
proposed location is conveniently accessible by car and train; it's just
a couple minutes off of the Blue Route from an exit that is one exit
away from the Schuylkill and is right next to a train stop on a regional
rail line.

Two more things: Some of you may recall my earlier email on this, or go
look it up since I quoted it, or know anyway, so I'll state it again so
as not to be criticized for not bringing it up; I do work at the
proposed location.  But I live about a half an hour away, and it only
takes me slightly longer to get to the IQ Group from where I live.  The
other thing is that I want to apologize in advance if I come across as
overly inflammatory or antagonistic, as I've just been reading
Slashdot.  :)

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/