Steve D on Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:44:05 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] Wireless internet

Uhmmm... Okay...

Cell modems (using CDPD) are the current standard.  The only existing
wireless for laptops.  The connection is theoretically 19.2Kbit/sec.  Actual
numbers range from  9.6 Kbit to 14.4Kbit for transmission speeds.  When I
tested it, the model came from Novatel Wireless and required a win32 app to
manage the card and handle authentication.  I see no way of making it work
otherwise.  The 'hands on' work I did was within sight of a cell tower (my
phone at full reception power) but the card kept losing the signal, pages
would take 1-2 minutes to load the base framework (forget graphics) in IE
5.01.

Right now the phone opens a communication channel and speaks on that (much
like an analog phone, one channel, held open).  In 6 months the technology
will be coming out that the card actually sends IP packets to the nearest
tower, enabling much faster speeds (claims of 128Kbit and 144Kbit are being
banded about).  This is where it would begin to be useful (for an impatient
git like me.)  But again, I have no clue if the management software will be
released multi-platform or if the spec will be opened.

For coverage info you can check www.cdpd.org.  Reputable vendors (now and
with soon to be released products) are: Novatel, Xircom, Sierra Wireless.

If you need anything else, lemme know.

					-Steve