William H. Magill on Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:24:40 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] meeting at the Pennsylvania Convention Center

>   I would not be concerned about hidden charges.  We have worked
>   with PCCA for years, and they are truly offering this meeting
>   space at no cost to PLUG.  It's a nice space with plenty of
>   tables and chairs.
>
>   I am working on finding out what, if any, computer displays
>   may be available.  DCANet will be able to provide an SDSL-based
>   T1 circuit with 8 ethernet ports in the Cafe as well -- at
>   no charge to PLUG.

It's a wonderful space...

The only caveat about the PCC is --  it's a Union Shop!

This can mean problems=costs if you need to move equipment around on-site
or bring equipment in, like a projector or computers. The work has to be
done by Union members. (Historically, it was not "legal" for non-union
people to even plug in AC power for things!) Computers and Computer network
wiring used to be ignored by the Building Trades Council -- but not anymore.
There were also "closed contracts" for things like AV services -- so if you
want a projector, you could not bring your own. (Like the Coke and Sony
deals at the Olympics.)

The Convention Center folks know these are real problems, so find out from
them what kinds of issues exist here for us. Things were liberalized some
what as a result of the Republican Convention negotiations, but I wouldn't
count on that holding now that the Republicans are out of town. I haven't
been involved with planning an event there since shortly after the new
building opened ?5 years ago?, but it was pretty ugly back then.

With luck, they may even have a special dispensation for "club meeting
space" as opposed to "convention function space.

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/