Flint Heart on Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:14:52 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Question...

> 	Actually, I have a quesiton about mine. A friend and I ordered our a
> couple of days after the big rush, and didn't get them until June. Mine
> came with the the epoxy over the bios chip. We ordered replacement bios
> chips, and as carefully as possible carved away the epoxy. I popped out
> my original chip, put in the new one, and now I can't anything other
> than the green power light to turn on when I hook it up to the juice. My
> friends doesn't even light up.
>
> 	Pretty sure they're both fried, but do you have any suggestions?

Well yours sounds in better shape then your friends.  The first thing you
wana check for on either is any broken traces.  if there are any sell it
for spare parts :>  Second thing to check is to make sure all the pins in
the socket are clean and come out a little to contact the new chip.(be
carefull cause they can break off easy). You can use a voltmeter to test
out the pins on the socket to make sure that you didn't disconnect the
socket from the mb at any place. If this doesn't work your best be is to
have someone desouder the existing socket and replace it with a new
one.  I know a couple ppl realy good at this stuff so let me know if gets
down to that.  mind if I asked how you removed the epoxy ?

another thing it could be is the sodimm.  if either of you removed yours
, remove it again and make sure its seated properly and no expoxy flakes
are present. remnants of the goo removal I've never experienced this but
its something a nice number of ppl have reported.

If you want bring then to the next plug and i'll take a look at them for
you.  i'll just have to jot a note to bring my toolkit.

Hopefully we can get them working. If they turn out to be toast I'll be up
from buying some of its parts from you.  and if your lucky you can find a
broken i-opener on ebay with a working back board.( although thats the
boad that gets destroyed the most oftem.)

Hope this helps a bit.  Let me know how it goes.

N-Tropy