John Kirk on Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:34:40 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Perl interpreter hangs

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 08:11:17AM -0500, ed nestor wrote:
> Recently I started my Perl interpreter only to find it just hangs there and no prompt appears.

  As others have noted, this isn't very clear and precise about what behavior was observed.
A bunch of diagnostic activities might help, to explore exactly what isn't behaving right.

> has been working fine for two years and all of a sudden this happens.

  Either something changed, but you didn't realize what its impact would be, or I'd
suspect intermittent, flakey, memory (more likely) or disk, assuming there's really
something wrong.

  Usually, when I'm surprised, there's more payoff pursuing the assumption that
I'm doing something inadvertent, myself.

> I did however recently change my hostname from localhost to a different host name.
> I am wondering if this could be the problem.

  Hard to imagine this could be related.

> I ran an rpm command to verify the package (rpm -V perl) and got this message
> /usr/bin/sperl5.00503		problem md5
> /usr/bin/suidperl		problem md5
> I searched google for info on md5 and md5 checksum and checksum
> but the info I found was of no help.
> I did find out what checksum is, but I don't know how to fix the problem.   ...
> I thought of replacing the files but there might be more to it than that.

  The md5 checksums function just as an indicator whether the files are as expected,
or are "corrupted" in some way (that is, different from what they should be).  The
functional problem is probably unrelated to the suidperl file, but I don't recognize
the other one, so dunno whether it could be causing the problem.  (I just don't know
what the "s" prefix on the rest of the filename means it is.  I'd assume there's
probably a soft link to that file somewhere, under another simpler name.  In any case,
it can't hurt to replace those files, perhaps by reinstalling the whole package.  I'd
be worrying about how those files got corrupted, though.

> Also, since I changed my local host name that might of caused a problem
> with set_ user_ id and that's why this file (/usr/bin/suidperl) is showing up with a problem.

  Nope, very unlikely there'd be any relation.