Michael Leone on Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:17:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] webcasting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael C. Toren" <mct@netaxs.com>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] webcasting

> > > Just like all of us :-)
> >
> > Nonsense. SOMEONE has to make the final say on where the meetings are;
who
> > coordinates them; etc.
>
> No one person has had to make such a decision in the past.  What typically
> happens is that major issues (for example, which venue to hold future
> meetings at) are discussed on the mailing list, and a general consensus is
> reached.  Once in a blue moon it becomes clear that a consensus won't be
> possible, and some type of voting is initiated.
>
> It has worked remarkably well for a long time now.

I can think of 2 situations contrary to that - the meetings are/were at I-Q
because they had *1* person they could co-ordinate thru - Darxus. If just
any member had called IQ and asked for the room/use of bandwidth/etc, bet
you that they would not have been so free with the resources.

The meeting at Cigna. Came about because the folks at Cigna had *1* person -
Tony - they could co-ordinate thru. If you or I (or any other Plug member
that the cigna powers-in-charge did not know), NO WAY would we have been
able to use that resource.

Granted that neither of them is an official officer of the group, but both
situations were at least partially dependent upon the identity of the person
who originally made the request. Would not have happened if "anybody could
speak for the group"; in these cases, it was because of a SINGLE INDIVIDUAL
who spoke for the group.