Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:43:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: shading text background

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 02:47:13PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach Jeff Abrahamson (on Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:46:48PM -0500):
> > Glue is your friend.
> >
> > Something like
> >
> >   \colorbox[named]{Gray}{\hss This text is in a gray box \hss}
>
> somehow this doesn't work. putting the hss in there doesn't change the
> width of the background shading. it's still only shading the word
> background. what is \hss? am i doing something wrong.

I don't do TeX anymore, so I can't answer how to do it right.

However, \hss is glue that stretches infinitely. It's not quite so
infinite as \hfill, and there's a glue that's even more infinite than
\hfill, don't remember it's name.

This is why so many TeX'ers really use latex. And the need sometimes
to resort to TeX even so is why some people choose Abiword or Mozilla
Composer.

(That said, I used to use TeX quite a bit when I was in grad
school. What I liked about it was that it made writing prose somewhat
like programming. What I don't like about TeX now is that it makes
writing prose somewhat like programming. ;-)

--
 Jeff