MaD dUCK on Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:27:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: shading text background

also sprach Jeff Abrahamson (on Sun, 10 Dec 2000 10:43:04PM -0500):
> However, \hss is glue that stretches infinitely. It's not quite so
> infinite as \hfill, and there's a glue that's even more infinite than
> \hfill, don't remember it's name.

explain this to me, will you? so there is hypothetical glue between
the text on either side of the \hss statement? this part makes sense
in a way, but how does the glue know how long to extend? is the page
border a default stop? and why do i need an \hss before the section
title?

btw,
the \hss thing did not work anyway. here's the function i am currently
using to create a section header and it still only background shades
under the text but does not extend to the end of the line. including a
table with width 100% (tabularx) solves the problem but messes with
the spacing in such a way that the section heads simply get to tall
and the actual heading text is indented too much.

\newcommand{\sectionhead}[1]
  { \vspace{3pt}
    \colorbox[gray]{0.90}{\hss #1\hss} \\
  }

but all i get is
----------------
| section head |

instead of

| section head                                                        |

any more ideas?
martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
if you don't understand or are scared by any of
the above ask your parents or an adult to help you.