Darxus on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:57:38 -0500

Re: plug visibility (was: Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #750 - 12 msgs)

On 12/13, Michelle Weber wrote:
> Here's a good reference for getting into search engines:
>
> http://www.searchengines.com/optimization_checklist.html

I added:

to http://www.phillylinux.org/index.html.  If anyone would like that to be
anything different, email me what you want.

On 12/13, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> > <http://www.google.com/search?q=philadelphia+linux+user+group>
> > first match
>
> That's ONE search engine.  BTW, I never to Google, I use either Altavista or
> Yahoo, I guess because that's the way I started using the internet.
>
> PLUG needs to be registered on several search engines, especially the "better
> known ones".

Unfortunately, it's not that easy.  Google ranks the right site first for
a search on philadelphia linux because its ranking method is far superior
to all others.  It ranks sites by the number of other sites that link to
it on that subject.

All the rest just sort pages by the number of hits on your keywords in the
body of the page (and, apparently, meta tags, which I just added).  The
plug website is probably in all web search enginges at this point -- ones
that are not google just rank poorly.  So use google or a LUG list.

And if you think that the plug site has not been added to a particular
search engine, then add it yourself.  Most of them have a form somewhere
where you just plug in the url and hit go.

And whoever's replying to plug digests... please fix the subject before
you reply to this list.  A subject of "Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #750 - 12
msgs" on this list is non-descriptive and annoying.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com