Rupert Heesom on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:47:45 -0500

[PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #752 - 10 msgs

> Subject: Re: [PLUG] RH 6.2 unstable?
>
> also sprach Rupert Heesom (on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:45:23AM +0500):
> > I've been told in the past that RH 6.2 is an unstable version of RH
> > linux.   Well, I'm using 6.2, and I now tend to agree.    In the past
> > few days, I've had my PC slowing down to a freeze or the Gnome pager die
> > on me!!
>
> i would swear by my left pinky that it's gnome that's freezing, not
> linux. gnome sucks pretty bad in my opinion, if you plan on using a
> file manager, you might just as well use windows. in general, i find
> that crashes of my system are due to X stuff and the more fancy your
> window/desktop manager gets, the easier it crashes. gnome crashed a
> whole lot on me, that's why i am now with windowmaker and vtwm.

Yes, I tend to think that it's either X or Gnome having the problems.
Which is sad because I like a good GUI, that's one of the strengths of
Linux....good GUI options!   In your opinion, is KDE any better than
Gnome?  (I also like the option of having more than one GUI installed).

Tell me about why you're using Windowmaker / vtwm?   I haven't used them,
But they might be worth a try if they're more stable.   I think I'll
also try KDE.

> > Is RH 7 better than 6.2??   Is it worth upgrading?
>
> RH7 better? mh. if you want a good distribution, the go for SuSE, i
> still find that to be the best. or debian. RedHat is Pop-Linux, far
> too commercial for my taste and far too wizardry in that they try to
> automate processes - which is one reason why we are not using
> micro$oft crap - because we hate wizardry.
>
> RH7 over RH6.2 is nothing but updated packages and a little bit of
> changed structure. you can update your kernel to 2.2.17 and make sure
> that the software you are using remains patched and at the latest
> version (with tarballs, not that RPM crap - SuSE uses that too
> unfortunately) and what you get is something that is "better" even
> than RH 7.0.

I've never used tarballs; partly because I'm used to the convenience of tools,
say RPM for example, and because I don't know Linux well, didn't want to get
stuck way over my head......So, how do I use tarballs instead of RPM?  If I
install using a tarball, that means the RPM database will be out of synch
doesn't it?   I guess that doesn't matter for someone not using RPM.