Serguei Ostrovskii on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:17:39 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #752 - 10 msgs

<snip>

> I've never used tarballs; partly because I'm used to the convenience of tools,
> say RPM for example, and because I don't know Linux well, didn't want to get
> stuck way over my head......So, how do I use tarballs instead of RPM?  If I
> install using a tarball, that means the RPM database will be out of synch
> doesn't it?   I guess that doesn't matter for someone not using RPM.

<snip>

There are SRPMs, too. RehHat is the maintainer of quite a few packages.
And some are just not available as tarballs - pwdb, for instance.
You can extract tarball from the SRPM package.
SRPM package also has necessary patches, which are mostly _not_ RH-specific.
It makes sense before building an aged packade ( Berkeley db1.85, for instance )
to open the corresponding SRPM and see what patches are available and what they
address.

Sergey Ostrovsky.