Anderson, Tim TL33E on Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:27:57 -0500

RE: [PLUG] RH 6.2 unstable?

Comments on a couple of messages from this thread:
--------------

>Is RH 7 better than 6.2??   Is it worth upgrading?

Not if you want to compile anything.  RH7 comes with the unstable gcc 2.97,
which breaks everything.  The gcc people strongly recommended that this
version not be used in production - perhaps RedHat don't view the
distribution of millions of shiny boxes to shops worldwide as a production
environment?

---------------

>To get a current version of GNOME, go to <http://www.helixcode.com/>
>and click on the "I want Helix GNOME" button. After a bit of
>information, it basically tells you to su to root and type

>	     lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ | sh

>This is one of the cleverest simple things I've seen in years.

Yes, and incredibly insecure.  I'm not going to run an unseen script on my
machine as root - not that I don't trust helix, but it could be replaced or
disguised by some unkind soul.     If I'm gong to run a script from the
internet I'm going to download and look at it before I run it.  Whatever
happened to the whole 'be very very careful in root' mandate that new users
used to get?

tka