MaD dUCK on Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:47:54 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Help Needed with Xircom Modem/NIC & Linux

also sprach gabriel rosenkoetter (on Mon, 01 Jan 2001 01:05:19PM -0500):
> I have a Xircom (just NIC, no modem) that works quite well... though
> I use my Wavelan card most of the time now. Point being, I assure
> the NIC circuity works, even if your kernel will take some coaxing
> to recognize it.

dear gabriel, may the god of revelation come upon you with the thought
that a single NIC, even if made by the very good company xircom, can
be broken, apart from all other NICs ever produced.

> (Well, that should be tempered by the fact that, even at 100BaseT,
> my card only puts about 500 Kbps through, but this is a well-known
> problem in the NetBSD driver.)

you want to know the SuSE specs? :)

> In general, I agree with your one function per tool theory, but this
> is a bit over the line. The Xircom cards occupy two PCMCIA slots, so
> expecting them to have two functions isn't all that ridiculous, now
> is it?

... but if one breaks, you're without a modem and without a NIC until
xircom decides to RMA ship back to you... that's why i hate
multifunction cards and would never buy anything but component stereo
systems.

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).