tpanzarella (harley) on Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:57:54 -0500

[PLUG] Kernel Panic on Boot when adding EIDE HDD

Hello. I have a RH6.2 box which I am trying to expand my disk capacity on. The box right now has one SCSI drive (sda), 1 EIDE HDD (primary master, hda), and 1 IDE CDROM drive (secondary master, hdc). I am trying to add another EIDE drive as hdb. My machine's bios sees the drive and all is cool there. Then when booting the Linux kernel, it sees the drive as hdb (primary slave) ... it also sees all other drives ok. But Linux goes into kernel panic before it even hands off control to the Red Hat boot procedure. It says that it can't find init and I should try passing 'init= ' to the kernel. When I unplug the new drive, Linux boots fine.

If anyone can shed any light on this for me it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
t.
--
C-x C-c