Kevin Brosius on Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:07:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Kernel Panic on Boot when adding EIDE HDD

"tpanzarella (harley)" wrote:

> Hello.  I have a RH6.2 box which I am trying to expand my disk capacity
> on.  The box right now has one SCSI drive (sda), 1 EIDE HDD (primary
> master, hda), and 1 IDE CDROM drive (secondary master, hdc).  I am
> trying to add another EIDE drive as hdb.  My machine's bios sees the
> drive and all is cool there.  Then when booting the Linux kernel, it
> sees the drive as hdb (primary slave) ... it also sees all other drives
> ok.  But Linux goes into kernel panic before it even hands off control
> to the Red Hat boot procedure.  It says that it can't find init and I
> should try passing 'init= ' to the kernel.  When I unplug the new drive,
> Linux boots fine.
>
> If anyone can shed any light on this for me it will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> t.
> --
> C-x C-c

Which is your root disk?  And are you using LILO?

I've found that I often have to re-run LILO after changing my IDE layout
(adding or moving disks) else LILO fails.  This is easier said than
done, since you'll need to use a boot disk or CD if your normal boot
method doesn't work.  (And then pass some extra params to LILO to tell
it not to use the present boot floppy/CD as root when re-writing the
boot info.)

What is you boot loader?

--
Kevin Brosius